Saturday, March 14, 2015

Grandpa

Last Friday (3/6/15) we got word that my grandpa had passed away. It was very bittersweet. We knew that it was coming at any time but it still doesn't make it any easier knowing that they're gone. He had been suffering from Cancer (surprised? more cancer, I know. We have it super thick in my family.) and had gotten especially sick the last 6 months or so. Honestly, we thought he would have been gone a couple months ago, but he just kept trucking on.


It seems like when a loved one passes, you start remembering all of the good memories that involved that person. So after he had passed, it was like I all of a sudden remembered a whole bunch of memories. Here's a few...

I would get so excited knowing that we were going to go stay with them for a night or two. That meant cousin time, lots of hot tub time, and mini smokies.

First thing walking into their home we were greeted by my grandpa every time with a great big bear hug.

He was such a hoot. He was so witty and always had something quick and witty to say.

I remember quite a few breakfasts he would make. Egg n dog is what he called one of them. Basically hot dogs in scrambled eggs. Or toast and eggs.

Speaking of hot dogs, this man LOVED hot dogs. Hot, cold, roasted, you name it. It was his go to.

My grandparents had a hot tub and we always had to wait till grandpa got home so he could lift the huge heavy lid.

His home. Simply being there in his home watchin a show with everyone.

Lots of camping trips that he and grandma came to.

Him telling us his story of B.B.O.O bear. That was a story that stayed with my family and throughout my childhood.

Him and grandma coming to our house to stay.

His bus. He had bought a bus that was handicap accessible so that they could get my grandma in a vehicle. He once took us on a bus ride on this random bumpy dirt rode. It must have struck our funny bones because we were all laughing.

Riding in a car with him was terrifying to say the least hahaha we'll just leave it at that.

Visiting him in Boise while Caleb was at work meetings.

I have more but those are some that stick out in my mind. Really truly, most of my memories involve family and get togethers at his home where we all interacted with each other.

Yesterday (3/13/15) was his viewing in Boise where he had lived for the past 5 years I believe. Then today was his funeral down In Carey where he lived his whole life prior to moving to Boise. This morning me and Caleb got up super early as in 5 a.m. got ready, headed out to pick up my brother and sister, then headed to Idaho Falls to pick up my other brother and his wife and son.
beautiful early morning sunrise.

We got there right close to 10 a.m. Perfect time. The viewing was pretty standard. I couldn't believe how different my grandpa looked. SOO skinny, and just so different than just months before when I had seen him. After the viewing we headed into the chapel for the funeral. It couldn't have gone better. There was so much support and the talks were awesome. Listening to them made me want to be more like my grandpa. He never judged a soul and was the most selfless man I know. Laughter and tears filled the room. The spirit was strong in that chapel. There is such a bittersweet yet humbling feeling at funerals. After the funeral we headed over to the cemetery. It was a beautiful day.




Then afterwards went to the lunch back at the church. Thank goodness, we were all dizzy and feeling a bit sick since it had been so long since we had eaten where the funeral was scheduled later than normal and ran longer than normal. The food was great and it was nice to see all of the cousins together again. Probably the last time that had happened was at my grandmas funeral 5 years ago. Everyone has changed SO much and has gotten SO much older and has families of their own. It's crazy to think that none of us would be here if it weren't for my grandpa.

Even though we are sad that my grandpa is now gone, I can't help but smile that he is with his sweet wife again. I am sure the reunion was amazing.

I'm glad he is no longer in pain and suffering. I am also so grateful for the plan of salvation so that we can see him again and that families are forever. I love you grandpa and will surely miss you. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment